Wednesday 10 October 2012

ANTIQUE MARBLE TOP WASHSTAND WITH BASIN

For sale on www.lepetitbijou.co.uk

After                                           Before

I don't like to blow my own trumpet, but I just love the end result of this project.  Ok, I can't take all the credit for it, I had plenty of help and advice from my boyfriend, brother and the nice local marbrier.

The project started with cleaning the washstand up and treating it for woodworm with Xylothene.  After letting the treatment work its magic for 48 hours I filled the woodworm holes and sanded back the wood a little to prepare for painting.  There was some structural supports missing on the underside which I replaced with a little extra strength as I was planning to add a bit more weight than usual.


 Now with a blank canvas to work with I started by applying a couple of coats of a dark blue paint letting each layer dry thoroughly in between.  On top of the blue followed several layers of an off white colour.  Once this had fully dried, using a distressing technique I rubbed away the white paint on the corners and areas that would normally have wear, showing through small patches of blue to complement the now beautifully cleaned blue glazed tiles.  I gave the inside of the cupboards a flash of colour by lining the sides with this gorgeous paper.


Now came the tricky bit, we had to get a professional to cut the holes for the plug and taps, and after that I left it to my boyfriend.  After all was fixed, sealed, and water protected the finished article got the final polish, and what a wonderful end product it is!          For sale on www.lepetitbijou.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment